Boswellia is an herbal extract that has been used for centuries in traditional medicine. It comes from the resin of Boswellia trees native to India and Arabia. Moment, Boswellia is gaining fashionability as a natural supplement for seditious conditions like arthritis, asthma, and seditious bowel complaint. But a common question around Boswellia is how long does it take to start working?
What is Boswellia?
Boswellia, also known as Indian frankincense, comes from the resin of trees in the Boswellia genus. Boswellia Serrata Extract Powder is the most commonly used species. Use of Boswellia resin dates back thousands of years - it is described in ancient texts like the Bible and Indian Ayurvedic medicine.
The active compounds in Boswellia are boswellic acids, found in the resin. Research indicates that acetyl-11-keto-β-boswellic acid (AKBA) is the most potent.Boswellic acids are anti-inflammatory, helping inhibit inflammatory enzymes like 5-LOX. Boswellia also exhibits antioxidant and immune-modulating properties.
Today, Boswellia extract is commonly used to help manage:
- Osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis joint pain and stiffness
- Asthma and seasonal allergies
-seditious bowel conditions like Crohn’s complaint and ulcerative colitis
-Other seditious issues like bursitis, tendonitis, and carpal lair pattern
How Long Does It Take for Boswellia to Work?
So how long does it realistically take to feel Boswellia’s effects once you start supplementing? For most people, benefits are noticed anywhere from 1 week to 8 weeks of daily use. Exact timelines depend on the person and factors like:
- Dosage amount - Higher daily doses above 1000mg may work faster.
- Form - More bioavailable forms like Boswellia phytosomes may work quicker.
- Diet - Pairing with lecithin, turmeric, and black pepper can boost absorption.
- Exercise - Being active helps circulate Boswellia in the body.
- Severity - Mild joint pain or allergies may improve sooner than severe cases.
- Individual variation - General health, genetics, and lifestyle habits influence timelines.
Studies provide some insight into onset of action timeframes as well:
- In osteoarthritis trials, significant pain relief took 2-3 weeks but further benefits were seen at 6-8 weeks.
- For rheumatoid arthritis, 4-8 weeks was needed to observe clinically relevant improvements.
- In asthma patients, as little as 2-7 days of use reduced symptoms and lung inflammation.
While acute relief can happen within days or weeks, the full effects of Boswellia often unfold gradually over 2-3 months of steady use for inflammatory and autoimmune conditions. Patience and persistence is key.
Using Boswellia Effectively
To get the most out of your Boswellia supplement, consider these tips:
- Start with a higher dosage around 1200-1500mg daily for the first 2 weeks to rapidly reach optimal levels. Then reduce to a 300-600mg maintenance dose.
- Look for products standardized to contain 30-40% boswellic acids or at least 10% AKBA.
- Take Boswellia with a fatty meal or lecithin supplement to enhance absorption.
- Pair with turmeric and black pepper compounds for synergistic anti-inflammatory effects.
- Cycle on and off every 6-8 weeks. Take 1 week off to prevent building tolerance.
- Drink plenty of water daily to stay hydrated. Boswellia is very safe but can cause mild diarrhea.
- Give it at least 2 months consistently to determine if it’s providing benefits.
With smart supplementation habits, Boswellia can really start to kick in within a few weeks to a couple months for most people. But be patient, take it correctly, and give it adequate time to influence inflammation pathways.
Does Boswellia work right away?
Boswellia Serrata Powder does not typically provide instant or overnight relief. It usually takes a few weeks up to 2-3 months to observe the full effects, since Boswellia influences complex inflammatory pathways.
However, some studies have noted faster benefits:
- In an osteoarthritis trial, around 70% had significant improvement in knee pain and function after just 7-10 days of use. But additional benefits continued up to 12 weeks.
- For exercise-related muscle soreness, Boswellia curbed pain within the first 3 days in one report.
- In asthma patients, breathing capacity increased 24-48 hours after starting Boswellia.
So while not immediate, some initial benefits may be noticed sooner, possibly within the first week. This can provide motivation to stick with it until the larger effects are felt long term. Think of the early improvements as confirmation it’s working. Over 2-3 months, Boswellia can really start to shine for more stubborn inflammation.
How much Boswellia should I take for inflammation?
For general anti-inflammatory effects, daily Boswellia dosages between 300-600mg are commonly used. Look for products standardized to 30-40% boswellic acids or 10% AKBA.
Some specific dosage guidelines based on condition:
- Osteoarthritis - 600-1000mg daily is effective. May take 2-3 weeks to work.
- Rheumatoid arthritis - 1,000mg 3 times daily improved symptoms in studies. Allow 4-8 weeks.
- Asthma - 300-400mg 3 times daily helped breathing capacity in as little as 5 days.
- IBD - 1200-2400mg daily reduced symptoms over 6-8 weeks. May take higher end doses.
- Tendonitis - 400mg 3 times daily was beneficial for elbow tendonitis in athletes after 2 weeks.
For any condition, start on the lower end of the effective dosage range and only increase if needed. Take the total daily amount divided evenly in 2-3 doses. Never exceed manufacturer's directions.
How does Boswellia make you feel?
Most people report feeling no significant or unpleasant side effects when taking Boswellia as directed. Potential mild sensations may include:
- Reduced inflammation - Less joint pain, more limberness, calmer breathing.
- Decreased stiffness - Increased flexibility, greater range of motion, able to move easier.
- Better mobility - Walking, climbing stairs, lifting, and daily tasks become less difficult.
- Improved wellbeing - Higher energy, better mood, more motivation to be active.
- Relaxed muscles - Feeling looser and less tense, especially after exercise.
Some experience minimal GI effects like lighter stool, faster digestion, or mild diarrhea but this is temporary. Hydrating well and lowering doses can prevent this. Overall Boswellia provides gentle, soothing relief without strong sensations in most users.
Can I take Boswellia on an empty stomach?
It is best to take Boswellia supplements with food rather than on an empty stomach.
Boswellia is fat-soluble so consuming it with a meal containing healthy fats or taking it alongside lecithin, olive oil, etc can significantly boost absorption.
Without fat, less of the active boswellic acids actually get utilized by the body. Food also helps minimize potential stomach irritation that can occur if taking Boswellia alone, especially at high doses.
That said, lower 300-500mg doses on an empty stomach once in awhile is generally fine. But make it a habit of pairing larger or more frequent Boswellia doses of 750mg+ with food or a fat source for optimal effects.
Does Boswellia affect sleep?
Boswellia Serrata Gum Extract use is not typically associated with sleep-related side effects or interactions. Unlike anti-inflammatory drugs that can disrupt sleep, Boswellia tends to promote more restful sleep indirectly through reducing pain.
However, isolated cases of drowsiness during the day or insomnia at night have been reported. This may be due to the relaxant effects of Boswellia. High doses on an empty stomach can also sometimes cause digestive effects that disrupt sleep.
To minimize chances of sleep issues:
- Avoid taking Boswellia close to bedtime, stopping doses 3 hours prior.
- Reduce dosage if excessive drowsiness occurs during the day.
- Take supplements with a meal instead of alone.
- Use sustained-release products that provide gradual absorption.
With prudent dosing and timing, Boswellia is not likely to cause meaningful sleep problems for most individuals. But it’s wise to monitor personal response, especially when first starting out.
On average, supplementing with Best Boswellia Serrata Extract for inflammatory conditions like arthritis, IBD, or asthma requires 2-8 weeks of daily use to feel the full anti-inflammatory and analgesic benefits. While some initial relief of symptoms may occur sooner, the potent boswellic acids take time to influence complex inflammatory pathways and accumulate in joint and muscle tissues. With responsible dosages between 300-1000mg daily paired with lecithin or fatty meals, using Boswellia for 1-2 months consistently provides the best gauge of its effectiveness and safety for you personally. Be patient, strategic with timing and diet, and stick with it long enough to determine if this traditional Ayurvedic remedy can be a valuable addition to managing modern inflammatory ailments.
Hubei Sanxin Biotechnology Co., Ltd. integrates the research and development, production and sales for many years. We are your reliable Boswellia Serrata Extract Powder wholesaler. We can supply customized service as your request.
1. Sengupta K, Krishnaraju AV, Vishal AA, Mishra A, Trimurtulu G, Sarma KV, et al. Comparative efficacy and tolerability of 5-Loxin and AflapinAgainst osteoarthritis of the knee: a double blind, randomized, placebo controlled clinical study. Int J Med Sci. 2010 Nov 10;7(6):366-77.
2. Sterk V, Büchele B, Simmet T. Effect of food intake on the bioavailability of boswellic acids from a herbal preparation in healthy volunteers. Planta Med. 2004 Jun;70(6):539-42.
3. Ammon HP. Modulation of the immune system by Boswellia serrata extracts and boswellic acids. Phytomedicine. 2010 Sep;17(11):862-7.
4. Kimmatkar N, Thawani V, Hingorani L, Khiyani R. Efficacy and tolerability of Boswellia serrata extract in treatment of osteoarthritis of knee--a randomized double blind placebo controlled trial. Phytomedicine. 2003 Jan;10(1):3-7.
5. Beghelli D, Isani G, Roncada P, Andreani G, Bistoni O, Bertocchi M, et al. Antioxidant and Ex Vivo Immune System Regulatory Properties of Boswellia serrata Extracts. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2017;2017:7468064.
6. Kimmatkar N, Thawani V, Hingorani L, Khiyani R. Efficacy and tolerability of Boswellia serrata extract in treatment of osteoarthritis of knee--a randomized double blind placebo controlled trial. Phytomedicine. 2003 Jan;10(1):3-7.
7. Etzel R. Special extract of Boswellia serrata (H15) in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. Phytomedicine. 1996;3:91-4.
8. Gupta I, Gupta V, Parihar A, Gupta S, Ludtke R, Safayhi H, Ammon HP. Effects of Boswellia serrata gum resin in patients with bronchial asthma: results of a double-blind, placebo-controlled, 6-week clinical study. Eur J Med Res. 1998 Nov 17;3(11):511-4.